Tuesday, August 4, 2015

The Perfect Match: Beach and Read

If you’ve read Becoming Jinn, it’s no secret that I love the beach. It’s one of the few traits I share with Azra (though I wish I had her height and hair).

It’s my happy place. And it’s where I like to do my most favorite thing: read.

This month, I’m doing something a bit different and asking some of my 2015 debut authors friends to share their favorite beach reads.

Virginia Boecker, author of THE WITCH HUNTER:


“My favorite beach read is Where’d You Go, Bernadette? by Maria Semple. This book is satire at it’s best, and I can't remember the last time I laughed so hard. It's perfection.” 


Stacey Lee, author of UNDER A PAINTED SKY:


Bloody Jack by L.A. Meyer, about a girl who disguises herself as a boy to join the navy, and later becomes a pirate.  This book smells like the ocean.  There are adventures and far off lands, and it's perfect for the beach.”


Kim Liggett, author of BLOOD AND SALT (September 22, Putnam)


“JAWS by Peter Benchley. It's just so perfect.”


Jenny Martin, author of TRACKED:


“My fave beach read is Nantucket Blue by Leila Howland. Nantucket Blue is a beach read to savor. You’ll root for Cricket, and you won'’ want her summer story to end.


Kim Savage, author of AFTER THE WOODS (February 23, 2016, FSG):


“Anything Dennis Lehane. Because I love beauty matched with grit, any time of year.”


Laura Tims, author of PLEASE DON'T TELL (Summer 2016, HarperCollins):


Dangerous Girls by Abigail Haas. There's sand on the cover and murder inside it, what more could you ask for?”


So what’s my favorite beach read? 


Besides, of course, Becoming Jinn, which, being set on the north shore of Massachusetts just happens to make for a perfect beach read (ahem)…..


Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. I read this on my last beach vacation, and it made for a perfect couple of days. The humor in here is top-notch, as is the expert structure and storytelling.



What's your favorite beach read?



Lori Goldstein is the author of Becoming Jinn (Feiwel and Friends/Macmillan, now available!!, sequel, Spring 2016). With a degree in journalism and more than 10 years of experience, Lori is a freelance copyeditor and manuscript consultant for all genres. She focuses on the nitty-gritty, letting writers focus on the writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment