Thursday, April 16, 2015

My 2015 Bookshelf, so far...

Given that we're nearly a third of the way through the year and Goodreads tells me I've read 15 books since January, I thought I'd share my YA bookshelf with you in the hopes that you'll let me know what you've been reading too as I'm always on the lookout for great reads!

In the order I read them (YA books only) and what I thought...

1. Reboot by Amy Tintera

A fast-paced dystopian tale that had me very curious about the world, but I struggled to connect with the characters in this one.

2. Ketchup Clouds by Annabel Pitcher

I thought this was an MG novel and that the MC was maybe 11 or 12 when I first started reading, but the character was apparently quite a lot older. I really enjoyed this novel, but found the MC is a little immature at times. Still, a wonderful contemporary story.

3. Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick

I'd heard so much about this one, I'm glad I finally got around to reading it. It was, however, not my cup of tea and I didn't enjoy the relationship dynamics between the main characters.

4. The Shadow Prince by Bree Dispain

I really wanted to love this but I haven't actually finished it yet. I just don't think I was in the right mood for this story when I started it. Given the musical element of this story, however, I'll probably go back and finish it at some point.

5. As Red As Blood by Salla Simpukka

This is a Finnish novel set in my favorite Finnish city, Tampere. Again, I really wanted to love this novel but I didn't enjoy the translation. Finnish can be a richly poetic language and I don't think the translation always managed to capture what the author was going for in the original. An interesting read though for those wanting a contemporary-crime novel set somewhere a little different.

6. The Alex Crow by Andrew Smith

This was my first foray into Andrew Smith and what a ride! This story is weird and shocking and disturbing and heart-breaking. I really enjoyed it even if I did find some of it bordering on the ridiculous. I think that's part of the story's charm though. Strongly recommend to fans of weird and wonderful books featuring teenage boys.

7. The Chaos by Nalo Hopkins

If you're looking for a diverse read, this book has diversity in spades! There are LGBT+ characters, multiple people of color - aside from the main character - and the story features Caribbean mythology. While I found the plot venturing toward the absurd, I loved the diverse characters in this novel and will definitely be reading more by this author.

8. Sea of Shadows by Kelley Armstrong

I'm currently reading this one and am really enjoying it even if I'm less than 50 pages in. I love epic fantasy and this book has started out very promising.


So, that's it for my YA reading so far this year. What are you reading? Got any recommendations?

2 comments:

  1. I loved The Chaos - really anything by Nalo Hopkinson is great! Thanks for giving me some new titles for my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete