Monday, December 2, 2013

Lessons from a Book Signing

This past Saturday I had the opportunity to meet writer pal, Amie Borst, FACE TO FACE at one of her book signings for her debut novel, Cinderskella. Amie did a great job introducing her book, the story of how it came to be, and she even did voices for each character when she read the first chapter!

After the signing (I got an autographed copy!), we had the chance to chat. It's no surprise that the publishing industry is fraught with rejection, but what we both agreed on was how important it is for writers and authors to band together. Sure, lots of writers and authors connect via social media and those relationships are invaluable, but meeting in person brings a whole new (and super awesome) aspect to the writing life. I mean, we get to know folks via their profiles, what they post on Twitter, FB, blogs, etc, but the spontaneous in vivo interaction isn't there. When we meet in person, we get to "SQUEE!", hug, chit chat, commiserate, and be real. It's priceless.

What's more? WE ALSO GET TO INTERACT WITH READERS! Seriously, how awesome is that?

I have to say, Amie inspired me that day. She showed me how important it is to get out there and be visible. She offered positive, encouraging support that renewed my conviction to continue writing. And she reminded me of the real reason I write: to share stories with others.

So, whether you are a writer or a reader, what's your experience with book signings? Have you been? What's your favorite part? What do you take away from interacting with the author?




* * * 
Laura Diamond is a board certified psychiatrist and author of all things young adult paranormal, dystopian, and horror. Her Young Adult Paranormal Romance novelette NEW PRIDE and novel SHIFTING PRIDE debuted late 2012 from Etopia Press. A spin off short story based on the lions of Tsavo, TSAVO PRIDE, is now available on Kindle. In 2013, her Young Adult Dystopian series, ENDURE and EVOKE, are being published by Etopia Press. Her Young Adult Paranormal Adventure, THE ZODIAC COLLECTOR, is coming 2014 by Spencer Hill Press. When she's not writing, she is working at the hospital, blogging at Author Laura Diamond--Lucid Dreamer, and renovating her 225+ year old fixer-upper mansion. 


If you’re interested in reading more about me, or interacting with me on the web check out the following links:

Author Laura Diamond: www.authorlauradiamond.com

Hope to “see” you soon! 


1 comment:

  1. I agree. From all the author events I've attended, I'm more likely to pick up a book from an author I've met before, even if it's an author from a panel who I'd never heard of prior to then. I also find reader-author events hugely inspiring. It's what keeps me motivated to continue writing!

    ReplyDelete