Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The beauty of simplicity

The other week, Wife and I went to a taped performance of the National Theatre Live's FRANKENSTEIN, featuring Johnny Lee Miller and Benedict Cumberbatch. I haven't seen a play in years, so I wasn't sure what to expect, only that I LOVE Benedict, and they'd received a boat load of awards for their performances.

I was also fascinated because the first night starred JLM as Frankenstein, and Benedict as the Creature. The following night, they swapped roles. It was pretty amazing to see their differences.




I was blown away not only by the remarkable acting, but how such a complicated, gorgeous, sad story could be told with such minimal effects. It's not a movie. There are no rolling landscapes, no expensive costumes, extensive makeup, CGI, or fancy sets. It's a stage with a few props--a strip of grass, a bed, a dock, some rain--and yet...you're never once drawn out of the story because of it. If anything, it's simplicity helped you focus more on the plot and the characters.

I mention all this because I believe the beauty of this play can translate into writing. People can enjoy a movie even if it's terrible, just because the effects are great. (I'm thinking AVATAR. Which I did enjoy, but take away the shiny effects and you essentially have Pocahontas meets Fern Gully. Seriously.) All that eye-candy can seriously distract a viewer from bad script-writing and story-telling.

What I'm trying to say is, above all else, a good story and characters are the most important thing in writing. Sure, you need the writing chops to be able to tell that story, but all the beautiful prose in the world won't make up for a boring, flat plot and characters nobody can connect with or love.

10 comments:

  1. I love, love, love simplicity. I'd pick the theater over a movie any day, and I love it when they make the audience stretch a bit :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to give some other plays a chance, because this one was so amazing! ;) And I agree--I love the simplicity of the stage, and I honestly find stage actors far more amazing than movie actors because they don't *get* twenty, thirty takes to get a scene right.

      Delete
  2. Hi!
    You are TOTALLY right on all accounts. I really wish I could see more theatre: it's a beautiful art! The acting and story is more raw, I think, than in many movies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After seeing Frankenstein, I would be all for watching more theatre! It really impressed me. :)

      Delete
  3. Amazing. :) Sometimes I feel like stories go overboard with details, and it begins to feel forced and and distracting. I recently read a NYT bestselling YA and it seemed like every single paragraph had a metaphor or simile. Totally distracting for me. Don't get me wrong, I love a good metaphor, but sometimes simple is just better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Myself, I like simplistic writing that can still convey the most beautiful image. Not just with word choices, but grammar choices, too. There's a lot to be said for the way some authors can break the rules, so to speak, and create beautiful but easy-on-the-eyes prose.

      Delete
  4. This is SO right!!!! I mean (and yes, I'm a guy, so the following will be our secret) it's the same with how Adele is getting international fame. She brought music back to where it came from without all the crazy stunts. She has a powerful voice.

    I think a lot of people get discouraged when badly written books hit the bestseller list (and we all know some of these) but the WELL written books, if done correctly with a market appeal, will completely shatter the bestseller list. For example, Harry Potter (YES, I'm a huuggge fan). Doing amazingly is much better than doing great. Writing without all the flashy things and gimmicks will prove much more beneficial than relying solely on a great concept, or marketing. Good, pure writing will win.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. I'm also an Adele and a Harry Potter fan, so I can agree on both accounts. :)

      Delete
  5. Absolutely 100% agree. Great post. The books I've loved the most haven't been the ones with the language I'd kill to be able to use, but the ones that have the characters that linger with me long after the book is finished. Of course having both is GREAT though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said!! I'm so glad you wrote about this play. I'm a huge theatre dork and was really fortunate to see Frankenstein live. It immediately became one of my favorite plays ever because the direction was so incredible. I loved how original music for the show slips in and out too, just enough to establish the tone.

    ReplyDelete